Thursday, November 10, 2011

Breaking a Heart

I imagine that many of you have given up on my blog, and for good reason. I've been quite the absentee. Anyway I'm working on this piece for my creative writing class, and I thought I'd share. I'd love to know (objectively as possible) what you think:

Breaking a Heart

In order to break a heart, you have to first hold it.

Tell him your secrets.
Let him protect you.
Laugh at jokes you make together.
Make friends of his friends.
Cook for him.
Show him your family.
Remember his stories.
Care about something.
Geek out to him.
Hold back only a little.
Listen.
Have subtle quirks and moods.
Watch his shows.
Cry once.
Be a reason he smiles.
Stick around.
Want something else.

It takes time but not as much as you’d expect. And once his heart is yours, you’ll be hard-pressed to lose it. Doesn’t matter if you want it or not; you don’t have to accept his heart for it to be yours. When one of his parents looks at you like she’d like to hug you but knows she shouldn’t, you’re set to crush. And this is all you have to do to finish the demolition. You don’t need to give your heart to him. You don’t even have to flirt. But you do have to care, just not enough.

3 comments:

Lyndi said...

I can't say that I'm very objective... but this is good. "Good" doesn't seem like the right word because it's not good, it's sad. But what your trying to portray is portrayed quite well. Keep these comin.

Ashley Talbot said...

Ash... you nailed it. NAILED IT! It's hard when you don't want their heart, but you want to care. You don't want to crush, but they put their heart in a place where there is nothing else that can be done. Amen Sister. Love you dearly.

Erin said...

That is really good, I remember the first time reading & really liking but re-reading it the message is so profound. Good Work, I have a smart AND beautiful cousin!