Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Apartment Life and Produce


Livin'. Brittany decorated my milk and the milk she shares with Sarah (they're too snooty for my delicious 2%). Also we went grocery shopping together two nights ago. I like to come home with something (often produce) that I haven't ever tried before. This trip we made it back with a green grapefruit and a persimmon. I really love grapefruit. This specimen is a little more tart and less juicy than my usual pink grafefruit (maybe it's just unripe and they duped me into purchasing it...). I don't actually know how or why a person eats a persimmon, but it looks really cool. If anyone has any knowledge of this produce item-- I'm not sure if it's a fruit or a vegatable, but I think it's the former-- please send me ideas for enjoyable consumption.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WIKI: "A persimmon, known to the ancient Greeks as "the fruit of the gods" is the edible fruit of a number of species of trees of the genus Diospyros in the ebony wood family (Ebenaceae)."

"Persimmons are eaten fresh or dried, raw or cooked. When eaten fresh, the skin is usually cut/peeled off and the fruit is often cut into quarters or eaten whole like an apple. The flesh ranges from firm to mushy and the texture is unique. The flesh is very sweet and when firm possesses an apple-like crunch. American persimmons are completely inedible until they are fully ripe."

"The persimmon also figures prominently in American culinary tradition. It can be used in cookies, cakes, puddings, salads and as a topping for breakfast cereal. Persimmon pudding is a dessert using fresh persimmons. An annual persimmon festival, featuring a persimmon pudding contest, is held every September in Mitchell, Indiana. Persimmon pudding is a baked pudding that has the consistency of pumpkin pie but resembles a brownie and is almost always topped with whipped cream. Persimmons may be stored at room temperature (20°C) where they will continue to ripen."

"Unripened persimmons contain the soluble tannin shibuol, which, upon contact with a weak acid, polymerizes in the stomach and forms a gluey coagulum that can affix with other stomach matter.[10] The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy notes that consumption of persimmons has been known to cause bezoars that require surgery in over 90% of cases."

"In traditional Chinese medicine the fruit is thought to regulate chi."

Ashley said...

Thanks Sid. :) You're good to me. I hope you're doing great and that your thanksgiving is lovely. Miss you!